Choosing a hairstyle that flatters your face shape can make a big difference in your appearance. Your face shape can determine which styles will emphasize your best features and which ones will accentuate your flaws. The right hairstyle is going to compensate the length or width of your face, add fullness or height where it’s needed and accentuate your most beautiful features. But how do you know what your face shape is and what hairstyles suit it best? Here are some tips to help you find out.
First, you need to identify your face shape. You can do this by taking a photo of yourself facing the camera with your hair tied back. Then, trace around the outline of your face and see which shape it resembles the most. Alternatively, you can measure the widths of your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline and the length of your face from forehead to chin. Then, compare these proportions to the following face shapes:
– Oval: Your face is longer than it is wide and your forehead is slightly wider than your jawline. Your cheekbones are the widest part of your face.
– Round: Your face is as long as it is wide and your forehead and jawline are roughly the same width. Your cheekbones are also prominent and your face has soft curves.
– Square: Your face is as long as it is wide and your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are all about the same width. Your face has sharp angles and a strong jawline.
– Rectangle: Your face is longer than it is wide and your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are all about the same width. Your face has sharp angles and a long chin.
– Heart: Your face is wider at the forehead and narrower at the chin. Your cheekbones are high and your chin is pointed.
– Triangle: Your face is narrower at the forehead and wider at the jawline. Your chin is prominent and your cheekbones are low.
– Diamond: Your face is longer than it is wide and your forehead and jawline are narrow. Your cheekbones are high and wide.
Once you have determined your face shape, you can look for hairstyles that suit it best. Here are some examples of hairstyles for different face shapes:
You have a versatile face shape that can pull off almost any hairstyle. However, if you want to enhance your features, you can opt for a blunt bob or lob with subtle layers, long waves or curls, or side-swept bangs.
Rihanna, who has an oval face shape, often rocks a blunt bob or lob with subtle layers that flatter her features. Chris Hemsworth, another oval-faced celeb, looks great with a short and textured haircut that adds some dimension to his face.
You want to soften the edges of your face and add some movement. You can go for a side-parted style, long and airy layers, an angled bob, or a curly bob.
Demi Lovato, who has a square face shape, softens her edges with long and airy layers that add some movement to her hair. Brad Pitt, another square-faced celeb, goes for an angled bob that slims down his jawline.
Your face is longer than it is wide and your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are all about the same width. Your face has sharp angles and a long chin.
Sandra Bullock, who has a rectangular face shape, enhances her cheekbones with a soft layered cut that disguises the corners of her face. Akshay Kumar, another rectangular-faced star, adds some volume to his hair with a wavy or curly style.
You want to balance out your wide forehead and narrow chin. You can opt for a long side-swept fringe that covers part of your forehead, a chin-length bob that fills out your jawline, or a deep side part with waves or curls.
Cheryl’s hair has been cut with long layers at the front to shape her heart face. Timothée Chalamet, another heart-faced celeb, goes for styles straight across the forehead or slightly rounded around the edge of the line
You want to add width to your forehead and reduce width at your jawline. You can try a short pixie cut with long bangs that sweep across your forehead, a layered lob that tapers at the ends, or a half-up half-down style that lifts up your hair from the temples.
Minnie Driver, who has a triangle face shape, balances out her wider jawline with long waves or curls that balance the narrower forehead. Keith Urban often wears his hair in a short and textured style that adds volume to his forehead and balances his jawline.
You want to show off your cheekbones and add some fullness to your forehead and chin. You can pick a chin-length bob with side-swept bangs that soften your angles, a long layered cut with flipped-out ends that create width, or a middle part with loose waves or curls.
Jennifer often wears side-swept styles that cover the narrow forehead and highlight the cheekbones. Ryan Gosling styles a textured crop to balance out a diamond shaped face.
These are just some general guidelines for choosing a hairstyle that suits different face shapes. Of course, you can always experiment with different styles and see what works best for you. The most important thing is to find a hairstyle that makes you feel confident and beautiful.